BREAKING: Former Spurs full-back Kieran Trippier back to Premier League to join Newcastle United on a two-and-a-half-year deal

The January transfer window has only just opened. However, Newcastle United have finally made their move with the capture of former Tottenham Hotspurs full-back Kieran Trippier – who is back to the Premier League from Spanish La Liga champions Atletico Madrid to join Newcastle United n a two-and-a-half-year deal.

Image
𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐘𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄

Newcastle United are delighted to confirm the signing of England full-back Kieran Trippier from Atlético Madrid for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old has agreed terms on a two-and-a-half-year deal and becomes the first senior signing under the club’s owners and head coach Eddie Howe.

Trippier arrives at St. James’ Park having spent a successful two-and-a-half-year spell in Spain, culminating in La Liga triumph last season as Atlético pipped rivals Real Madrid to the Spanish title.

He rejoins Eddie Howe after being signed by the Magpies’ head coach in 2011 during his time at Burnley. Trippier said: “I’m delighted to be joining this fantastic club. I really enjoyed my time in Madrid, but when I became aware of interest from Newcastle United, and having worked with Eddie Howe before, I knew this was where I wanted to be.

“I’m aware there is a lot of work ahead of us but I know the demands of Premier League well and I know what an amazing club this is with very talented players. I can’t wait to get started and I’m excited to step out at St. James’ Park as a Newcastle player.”

Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe said: “I am really pleased to welcome Kieran to Newcastle United. I have long admired his abilities and have followed his career, so when the opportunity arose to secure him, we didn’t hesitate.

“A lot of hard work has gone into planning for the January transfer window long before the month began, which is clear in how quickly we have been able to complete this move. I would like to thank everyone involved, particularly our owners, and I’m very much looking forward to working with Kieran again on the training pitch.”

Born in Bury, Greater Manchester, Trippier began his career at nearby Manchester City and made his first steps into senior football with loan spells at Barnsley and Eddie Howe’s Burnley.

His loan spell with the Clarets was turned into a permanent switch in January 2012 and he helped the club to reach the Premier League in 2014, eventually clocking up four years at Turf Moor.

After becoming an established defender in the top flight, he completed a move to Tottenham Hotspur in summer 2015 and would go on to play Champions League football, as well as making his senior debut for England against France in June 2017 – the first of 35 international caps.

In July 2019, he made a high-profile switch to Diego Simeone’s Atlético Madrid, becoming the club’s first English player in 95 years and making 28 league appearances last season as Atlético became Spanish champions.

He ended the 2020/21 campaign by starting for England in the UEFA European Championship final at Wembley as Gareth Southgate’s Three Lions narrowly lost to Italy.​

Trippier has previously expressed his desire to return to the Premier League and had been linked with a move to Manchester United in previous transfer windows, including most recently this summer, however, a deal between Atletico and the Red Devil’s could not be agreed.

The 31-year-old has made over 100 Premier League appearances and would add great strength to a Newcastle United defence that currently has the worst defensive record in the division.

Watford v Chelsea and Southampton v Leicester delayed after fan medical emergencies

A supporter had to be given emergency treatment at Vicarage Road, with another fan later stricken at St. Mary’s

A fan is now stable and being treated in hospital after suffering cardiac arrest during Chelsea’s game at Watford on Wednesday, with the game delayed while they were treated in the stands at Vicarage Road.

Later on the same evening, Leicester’s match at Southampton was also delayed due to a medical emergency in the stands at half-time.

After 13 minutes at Vicarage Road, Chelsea and Watford’s players were directed to their dressing rooms due to a medical emergency in the crowd. The game was delayed for around 30 minutes before it resumed following the news that the fan had been taken to hospital.

What happened?

During a stoppage in play, several players and fans alerted the referee and medical officials of a developing incident in the stands.

A fan had suffered cardiac arrest in the upper tier of the Graham Taylor Stand, with medical officials rushing to attend.

After a delay, the fan was taken off on a stretcher, with Watford saying on Twitter that the supporter had been stabilised.

“The players have returned to the field in preparation of play resuming,” the club said.

“Our thoughts are with the fan – who had a cardiac arrest but has now been stabilised – and all those affected. Thank you to the medical staff, players and fans for their quick response.”

Another medical emergency
Later on the same day, Leicester’s match against Southampton at St. Mary’s was also delayed due to a medical emergency in the stands.

This time, the incident took place at half-time with the second-half kick-off delayed.

“There will be a delay to kick-off for the second half due to a medical emergency in the stands,” read a tweet from Leicester City.

The match was delayed for around 15 minutes before it resumed.

A similar incident at St. James’ in October

The incident at Vicarage Road was reminiscent of another emergency with a fan that took place in October’s contest between Newcastle and Tottenham.

The play was temporarily stopped during the first half at St. James’ Park as a fan was given emergency treatment in the stands.

In that instance, the fan was stabilised and taken to hospital, with the game restarted after a delay of 20 minutes.