Manchester United have confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo will be not be part of the first team squad to face after he refused to come on as a substitute against Tottenham.
Despite the Red Devils winning 2-0 against Spurs on Wednesday night, Ronaldo became the headline story. The 37-year-old was seen walking down the tunnel before the final whistle sounded after not being brought on by manager Erik ten Hag.
It was then reported that he headed straight home and did not stay in the dressing room to celebrate with his teammates after a good win against Spurs.
It had been assumed that Ronaldo’s reaction was as a result of not being introduced. Multiple reports say that he in fact refused to come on as a substitute. Ten Hag is said to have told him to go on, but that was refused by Ronaldo.
A statement from United said: “Cristiano will not be part of the Manchester United squad for this Saturday’s game against Chelsea. The rest of the squad is fully focused on preparing for that fixture.”
The Athletic added that it is expected that Ronaldo will be forced to train alone.
Speaking after the match, Ten Hag said: “I don’t pay attention to that, I will deal with that tomorrow.
“I want to keep the focus on the team, it was a magnificent performance from all the 11 players.
“It was a performance also from the subs that came on. It was a squad performance. We deal with that tomorrow.
“What we have seen today was 11 players who defend, 11 players who attack, there was a lot of dynamic.
“I am pleased with that. I will not say I am satisfied because good is not good enough, that has to be the standard at Manchester United.”
He added on Amazon Prime Video: “I have seen him (leaving), I didn’t speak to him after. I will deal with that tomorrow.
“Today I enjoyed the performance. We are celebrating this victory and now we have to recover from this and we have a big game against Chelsea, the Premier League is so exciting.”