Premier League outfit Manchester United have delivered an official statement, after forward Mason Greenwood was arrested by police and charged with attempted rape.
The 21-year-old Englishman was arrested in the Trafford area on Saturday and was remanded in custody by Greater Manchester Police, and is due to appear before magistrates on Monday after being charged with attempted rape.
A statement from the Old Trafford outfit revealed: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service. He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process”.
The forward, who has one cap for England, was suspended by the Red Devils from playing or training at Old Trafford at the start of the year, after allegations surfaced about the player assaulting his partner.
Greenwood was accused of trying to rape a woman on 22nd October last year and is also alleged to have engaged in controlling or coercive behaviour over a period of almost three years – from 1st November 2018 to 15th October this year.
Furthermore, he has been accused of assaulting a person, causing them actual bodily harm between 1st and 31st December last year.
All three charges relate to the same female complainant, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said.
Janet Potter, deputy chief crown prosecutor for CPS North West, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorized the charges, following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.”
Greenwood was first held in January over allegations relating to a young woman, after images and videos were posted online.