Headlines Today: Ronaldo Still Intends to Leave Man Utd; Pogba Possibly Misses the World Cup

All the top stories and transfer rumours from Thursday’s national newspapers…

Romano: Ronaldo continues to wait for strategy, same as last year at Juve

Ferguson has intervened in the matter of Ronaldo’s departure, with United insisting that he is not for sale.

According to previous media reports, Sir Alex Ferguson was at the Carrington training base as Ronaldo prepared for important talks with new manager Ten Hag about his future, although it is not clear if he was involved in the talks.

Mendes has told United that Ronaldo is very adamant about leaving,” says team reporter James Robson. But now his transfer talks are not looking good and Ferguson has intervened in the matter, with United insisting Ronaldo is not for sale.”

Ronaldo is yet to train with United and is reported to have watched a closed warm-up match for United a few days ago.

Juventus worry Pogba will Miss World Cup

This news comes from Fabiana Della Valle, Mi Sport’s follow up reporter in the US front. During training last Saturday, Pogba injured his right knee in a non-confrontational situation and it is understood that he suffered an injury to the lateral meniscus. Originally Juve had planned for Pogba to have surgery in the United States, but then changed their plans and sent the player back to Italy for further consultation. As it stands, his injury is more serious than expected and could jeopardise this year’s World Cup.

The lateral meniscus will take longer to recover and will be more difficult to rehabilitate than an injury to the medial meniscus, as it has greater mobility and will be under more pressure. As of now, it is unclear how long it will take for Pogba to return to action, surgery is almost inevitable, conservative treatment is limited in this case, and both Juventus and Pogba himself are hoping for the worst: missing the World Cup.

In Pogba’s case, there are two treatment options: one is to undergo arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn meniscus, which will take approximately 40-60 days out of action. The second option is to undergo suturing, which is a better treatment and has fewer after-effects, but takes 3-5 months to return. Meniscectomy is generally not recommended for young athletes, as it can lead to a weaker, less flexible knee and increase the risk of future injuries.

But with the second treatment option, it would be almost impossible for Pogba to make it to the World Cup and it would take a miracle to recover in four months.

The surgery has not yet taken place and Pogba may travel to France to seek the advice of the national team doctor who has operated on Chiesa, Zaniolo and Chiellini. For now, a meniscectomy is the most likely scenario, with both the doctor and the player leaning towards that option, with the final treatment choice to be made in the coming hours.

Liverpool 0-1 Red Bull Salzburg

Liverpool travelled to Red Bull Salzburg for a pre-season warm-up match. In the first half, Nunez hit the crossbar with a fierce shot from a small angle and Sheshko pushed his shot over the bar. In the second half, Luis Diaz, Salah, Firmino and Arnold all threatened to score, but Mantell was able to parry them away. In the end, Liverpool went down 0-1 to Red Bull Salzburg.

Milan 5-0 Wolfsberg

AC Milan took on Austrian Premier League side Wolfsberg at Lake Werther Stadium in Austria. Milan took the lead in the first half when Leo fired a shot from a small angle that slipped through the goal before Calabria assisted a long pass for Leo to pick up the ball and put Milan ahead before Adeli assisted Rebic to extend the lead. In the second half, Theo assisted Messias to break an open goal, then the game was a steal in front of Milan, Adeli added a shot to the net and then Balo Toure assisted Gabbia to head home. The match ended 5-0 for Milan against Wolfsberg.

Atletico Madrid 4-0 Numancia

Atletico Madrid’s first pre-season friendly of the new season was played against La Liga side Numancia at the El Burgos de Osma Municipal Stadium. Lemar opened the scoring in the first half with a world strike, while Correa and Kondogbia scored from corner kicks. In the second half, Atletico Madrid striker Cunha headed home from a teammate’s corner. Atletico Madrid ended up with 4-0 to Numancia.

Manchester United official: Lisandro Martinez officially joins the team on a deal until 2027

Manchester United have officially announced that Lisandro Martinez has officially joined the team on a deal until 2027.

Manchester United have previously announced that they have reached an agreement with Ajax over the transfer of Lisandro Martinez, and now United have officially announced his signing. United officials say that Lisandro Martinez has signed a contract with United until 2027, with a one-year extension clause.

Ajax have said that Lisandro Martinez’s fixed transfer fee is €57.37 million plus a €10 million floating clause.

Lisandro Martinez, 24 years old, 1.75m tall, plays as a centre back and is a current Argentine international who has made seven appearances for the Argentine national team.

Lisandro started out in the Newell’s Old Boys’ ladder before moving to Defence & Justice, for whom he made 58 appearances, scoring 3 goals and assisting 5. In July 2019, he joined Ajax for a transfer fee of €7 million and has made 118 appearances for Ajax over 3 seasons, scoring 6 goals and assisting 6.

Lisandro Martinez also becomes United’s third signing of the summer, following the signings of Maraccia and Eriksen.

Jules Koundé to Barcelona, here we go!

Journalist Romano says: “Barça and Sevilla have reached a verbal agreement on the transfer of Koundé and are only waiting for it to be signed. koundé had agreed personal terms with Barça last weekend and the contract is now ready, with Xavi being the key factor in facilitating the player’s transfer.”

The move comes after Spanish journalist Alvarez reported that Barca’s final offer for Koundé was €62 million.

Koundé, a 23-year-old French international, joined Sevilla from Bordeaux in 2019 and has played 133 games for Sevilla so far, scoring nine goals and delivering three assists, following the team to the 19-20 UEFA Europa League title.

In 2021 he was named in the French national team squad for the Europa League. In June of the same year, he made his national debut against Wales.

Torino director fights with manager and is suspected of insulting club president

A huge clash between Torino’s technical director Gianluigi Vagnati and manager Ivan Juric has shocked the Italian football world.

Torino are currently in Austria for their pre-season preparations and it was here that Vanatti and Juric came to blows. Not only did they have a heated argument, but they even got into a fight, while another member of staff – probably the manager Marco Pellegrini – was doing his best to stop the pair.

The words that came out of Vagnati’s mouth were even more shocking as he snarled towards Juric: “I’m the only one who can protect you from that pig of a man!” This was a likely reference to the club’s president, Caillou. If both coach and director refer to their chairman in such terms, the situation is really worrying.

The angle of the video suggests it was filmed by someone in the team’s hotel, and given that this happened in the middle of pre-season preparations, it suggests it is likely that a player filmed it and posted it online.

DAILY MIRROR

New Manchester United midfielder Christian Eriksen wasted very little time getting off the mark for the Red Devils by netting in his first pre-season friendly – in full view of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Frenkie de Jong is reported to have told his Barcelona teammates he has no plans to leave Catalonia this summer despite Manchester United’s relentless efforts.

THE TIMES

Cristiano Ronaldo still intends to leave Manchester United in the transfer window so that he can play in the Champions League this season.

George Ford will not be playing for his new club Sale Sharks this year after undergoing surgery on a ruptured Achilles tendon suffered in last season’s Gallagher Premiership final.

DAILY MAIL

Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Manchester United on Tuesday with his agent Jorge Mendes and informed the club that he wanted to be released from his contract to enable him to join the Champions League squad.

Former Ligue 1 champions Bordeaux were reinstated to the French second division three days before the start of the new season, after they were relegated to the third division due to financial irregularities.

Nottingham Forest are still looking for another midfielder to bolster their squad ahead of their return to the Premier League, with Real Betis star William Carvalho topping the four-man list.

Referees in the English Football League will be told to raise their foul thresholds, reduce time wastage and ensure that players do not overstep the mark ahead of the new season.

DAILY EXPRESS

Tottenham Hotspur have reportedly made significant progress in their pursuit of Niccolo Zaniolo, despite Mourinho’s demands that he stay at Roma.

Manchester United target Benjamin Cesc proved to be linked with a top European side during Wednesday night’s pre-season friendly against Liverpool.

Liverpool star Roberto Firmino is reportedly closing in on a move to Juventus, which could have implications for both Manchester United and Chelsea.

Chelsea’s transfer window has been dealt another blow with Paris Saint-Germain defender Preschel Kimpembe reportedly having decided not to leave the club.

Chelsea could reportedly sign Inter Milan wing-back Denzel Dumfries for close to £33.6 million.

THE SUN

Atletico Madrid fans have revealed an anti-Cristiano Ronaldo banner at a pre-season game.

Jack Grealish has admitted he found his early days at Manchester City last summer “so difficult”.

Burglars targeted the family of Lionesses star Georgia Stanway while they were watching her help England net a place in the Euros final.

Newcastle have taken out a £140m loan to fund Eddie Howe’s transfer warchest.

Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey are alarmed that Robert Page’s Wales contract beyond the World Cup has not been sorted yet.

Arsenal centre-back Pablo Mari could be on the move to Fenerbahce with the defender keen to be reunited with boss Jorge Jesus.

Manchester United will give 16-year-old Bosnian goalkeeper Tarik Karic a trial with the academy.

Arsenal have included sell-on fees after flogging Omari Hutchinson and Matteo Guendouzi, reports suggest.

Arsenal have reportedly been joined by Manchester City in the race to sign Benfica’s Alex Grimaldo.

DAILY STAR

Chelsea look set to block any attempt from Barcelona to sign Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso this summer despite interest in both players.

One thought on “Headlines Today: Ronaldo Still Intends to Leave Man Utd; Pogba Possibly Misses the World Cup”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: