Chelsea 2-0 Crystal Palace: Blues Through to Third Consecutive FA Cup Final After Hard-Fought Win

Chelsea are through to the FA Cup final as they beat Crystal Palace 2-0 at Wembley.


The first half was quiet in terms of chances, with Edouard Mendy’s save from Cheikhou Kouyate being the most notable moment. 

However Chelsea were soon able to take their chances with Ruben Loftus-Cheek scoring the first, before Mason Mount added the second. 

Thomas Tuchel made three changes to the side from the win against Real Madrid during the week with Andreas Christensen, Jorginho and Cesar Azpilicueta all coming into the side.

The Blues captain started at right wing-back with Christensen joined Reece James and Antonio Rudiger in the back three.

Palace were the side who dominated the possession early on with Chelsea having little of the ball, but looked comfortable when they did.

Christensen did well to use his pace to track back and stop an Eagles attack.


Mount had the first effort on goal but it was comfortably saved by Jack Butland.

James was then close to playing Timo Werner through but Joachim Andersen was able to get a foot in for Palace.

The German soon had a cross that was deflected behind for a corner, but nothing came of it for Chelsea as James McArthur cleared.

Jorginho spotted the run of Azpilicueta on the right hand side of the box, but the latter was unable to reach it and it went out for a goal kick.


Rudiger found Kai Havertz with a cross into the box but the German’s header was saved by Butland.

Mateo Kovacic appeared to be struggling with a slight knock and was replaced by Loftus-Cheek.

Andersen was required once again to prevent Werner from running through on goal, clearing for a corner.

Palace soon broke away but their attack broke down and Chelsea regained possession.


Azpilicueta then saw his audacious effort go wide of the post as both sides started to have chances.

Mendy was called into action for the first time as he made a great save from Kouyate, before Andersen hit the post on the rebound.

Havertz was the first player to go into the book as he was shown a yellow card for simulation by referee Anthony Taylor.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: